Get 7-9 Hours of Sleep
Life if busy and sufficient sleep is often hard to come by for many of us. There’s so much to do at the end of day that going to bed at a reasonable hour is hard to pull off. However, sleep is key to living a fit life. So many of us operate in a sleep debt that we don’t even know what it feels like to be fully rested.
According to CDC data, getting less than seven hours per night is “associated with increased risk for obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, coronary heart disease, stroke, frequent mental distress, and all-cause mortality.” Insufficient sleep also impairs cognitive performance, which can increase the likelihood of motor vehicle and poor performance at work, driving, and basic daily functions.
In addition to the above if you are trying to lose weight, sleep may be just as important as your diet and exercise. Here are a few additional benefits of sufficient sleep.
- Weight loss: Getting more rest can help you lose weight. We often think we are hungry when fact we are tired due to the hormones that kick in when exhausted and we crave energy.
- Cravings: Proper sleep helps us fight cravings and make healthy choices.
- Affect on your metabolism: Poor sleep may decrease your resting metabolic rate (RMR), although findings are mixed. One contributing factor seems to be that poor sleep may cause muscle loss.
- Exercise: Lack of sleep may decrease your exercise motivation, quantity and intensity. Getting more sleep may even help improve performance.
- Calories: Poor sleep can increase your calorie intake by increasing late-night snacking, portion sizes and the time available to eat.
So get your rest! It sets you up for success for living a healthy active life.