Rim to Rim/Recover/Rim to Rim Schedule
The R2R is the hardest hike I have experienced. It is demanding, humbling, and inspiring. It is a serious commitment to training, research, planning, and responsibility and… it’s worth it. The Grand Canyon is special, mighty, fragile and fierce. It touches you deep down inside. I’m hooked. I look forward to repeating my last hiking route and plan to train for 5 months prior in conjunction with my marathon training.
South Rim to the North Rim hike and back, covering ~48 miles.
- Day 1: Arrive Grand Canyon Thunderbird Lodge South Rim: Travel from Phoenix airport to South Rim is 238 miles, 3:40 drive.
- Day 2: 5:00AM South Kaibab trail head to North Kaibib: 23.5 mile hike, 6,809 elevation gain.
- Day 2,3,4: Full recovery day at the majestic North Rim Grand Canyon Lodge. 1 day, 2 nights.
- Day 4: 5:00AM North Kaibab trail head to Bright Angel trail head: 24 mile hike, 6406 elevation gain. Longer distance but less steep for the final leg – and that helps.
- Day 4: Finish in the evening and pass out at Thunderbird Lodge
- Day 5: Depart Grand Canyon for Phoenix, AZ. Travel time to Phoenix 3:40 drive.
Helpful Information and Resources
- National Park Service Plan Your Visit. Hiking into the Grand Canyon
- Earthtrekkers How to Hike The Grand Canyon Rim to Rim
- Facebook R2R2R Group. Request invitation for incredible real time updates and insights